Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Why Do Cats Play Patty Cake

Culture, the only product that people do not consider product.


Of all the debate generated at the expense of the famous "Sinde Act, which otherwise seems very healthy and exercise in a society, what I concern is the concept that we as a country of culture. Generalizing from reading reviews and comments on websites, forums and social networks, it is easy to conclude that it is considered a public good, essential, must be free and unlimited public access. And when he explains that it is difficult to generate content without expensive they have passed on to consumers of that culture, the only two responses that are received are that the business model is obsolete, and that technology allows almost exact copies free price does not justify the end.

also defends himself without blushing that art always survive because artists will not cease to exist it is a vocation and a necessity. This statement, often accompanied by a scathing criticism and contempt for certain artists, labeled "commercial" for those who are denied the cultural value or quality, which are covered in products aimed at the masses "uneducated." Confusing tastes with quality, bad start.

Well, I think this series of contradictions that I find it hard to concentrate when I talk about it. Because I tend to look for logic, consistency and positions based on clear ethical criteria too general. And with this thinking, I can not understand that they think that culture is a public good, but not accepted that "public affairs" (As the Romans said "republic") does not defend him, or bear the public purse. If as a society believe that culture is a necessary good and should be freely accessible without hindrance, I understand that society will collectively who will pay, such as education, military and healthcare. Because if not, we're asking a part of society, artists and creators, we do so for free? That is, we will not have artists, merchants, if not artist-slaves. Minstrels. Medieval jesters.

For I am the subject that that "if you buy cheaper" ... I do not believe at all. Nor do I believe that the state have to keep the entire cultural system of a country. On the contrary. If you argue that every author has the right to choose whether to Copyright, Copyleft, Creative Commons or whatever, it is precisely because I think like any other product subject to the subjectivity of the consumer, must earn their position and sales. But this is only possible if you have the same protections and legal guarantees than any other product.
Sorry, I had better tell me "as you can get it for free on the net, I can not cash it and I have to invent another business model . Power can, but should not be. Power, we can go to 200 for a highway that we have paid in taxes. But we must not and we can not because we are not allowed. Would you keep the speed if there is no radar and fines? ... that is the reality of society. We do not want to recognize things as they are, if we do not favor.
hope I do not have to repeat my position on the canon and the network neutral, because that's not the problem. Those are laws and rules that are taught today and tomorrow are canceled. I worry about blindness and delusion. I worry about the value we give to culture with a capital, represented by those who create that culture.

So far, I was really just by Jiminy Cricket. But fortunately, after the downfall of the Act, I begin to see people try to make the same effort to understand that the situation is not as simple as saying "I am free and I have right."

If you want to do a little effort to listen to people who have a broader view of the topic and defend it with solid arguments known and proven, even at the risk that something will make you change your current view, you I recommend the following readings, beginning (with permission) as I wrote last week in Cooking Ideas: "How many authors do you know?

Following the experience of a little suspicious commercial operator: " Another Creator "by Nacho Vigalondo in the Blog Nacho Vigalondo in the Country.

The vision of an expert in internet and social networks:" A Sustainable Model Digital Consumer "by César Martin in
Alzado.org

journalistic research one of the most belligerent Sinde: "How much do the download pages?" by Ignacio School, in Escolar.net

The brilliant description , a joy to read, how a writer feels in the midst of the maelstrom: "The tribulations of a writer sitting in the center of heated debate "in My Apis for your Cookies.

And the arguments of the creators, who have as much right to speak on the network and its opponents: " Groups of artists are mobilized on the Internet by Copyright " An article in El País

animes you wish to read these sources proposed. I do not want to convince you of anything, then you keep thinking what you think now, but at least it'll make more informed . I assure you.

(Image: Flickr CC License )

0 comments:

Post a Comment